Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I wrote this poem a decade or so ago.  As today is Mother's Day, it seems appropriate to share it now.  It's interesting reading it again after all these years, especially now that I have my own daughter.  This poem is dedicated to my mother and grandmother, my lineage.


Lineage

Circa 1972 and my mother whose belly is round and full, heavy
with the flesh of my unborn body, wakes.
Midnight nears, I kick and squirm, struggling
against the natural course of time, unwilling
to leave her womb without a fight.

Circa 1977 and my bare feet stand on the cold
linoleum of my grandmother’s kitchen floor.  My mother
and grandmother stand close beside me.  One tablespoon
of vanilla.  Stir it in now.  My hand grips the metal handle, plunging
the spoon into the dough. I see my opportunity as they both turn away.
My finger dips into the raw butter, sugar and eggs, pulling
up just enough to taste.

Circa 1979 and my roller skates, permanently
affixed to my feet, move
in unison to the beat of Blondie, skidding
around my cul-de-sac for my first taste of freedom.
I spread my arms wide, absorbing the final rays of sunlight
before my mother calls me inside.

Circa 1987 and I am fighting -
Fighting to get out.
The pink bristles of my shaved head stand in revolt
against everyone and everything.  Patiently,
my mother waits for me to be born.

Circa 1988 and my hand yearns to feel her warm breath.
For a moment, I can feel it.  I see
her chest rise and fall.  Maybe
she’s only sleeping. 
A tear falls from my mother’s eye.
She’s gone.
I look back to my grandmother’s still body and see my mother –
my lineage.
My fists unclench and my arms spread wide,
to embrace the past.

Circa 1948 and my grandmother whose belly is round and full, heavy
with the flesh of my mother’s unborn body, wakes.
Midnight nears, my mother kicks and squirms, struggling
against the natural course of time, unwilling
to leave her womb without a fight.

1 comment:

  1. I remember about a decade ago when you showed me that poem. Happy Mothers' Day

    ReplyDelete